Turf & Ornamental Department Manager at Complete Landscaping Service
Department Manager must maximize all resources including labor, equipment, and vehicles to ensure that assigned clients are serviced per their contracted agreements while working within budget and adhering to all safety and quality standards.
- Two-year degree in Landscape Horticulture/Management and 2 years continuous experience in landscape construction/installation OR 4 years continuous service performing duties as described below.
- Basic understanding of Landscape Design.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to tolerate and work efficiently in a stressful environment, along with the ability to self-motivate.
- Valid driver’s license and DOT physical certification.
- Valid licenses as required for each state service is performed in.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and internet search engines.
Job Responsibilities for a Turf & Ornamental Department Manager
- Managing and scheduling labor, equipment, and materials to accomplish production schedules within budget.
- Reviewing and understanding all assigned contracts to ensure services are being performed per the specifications.
- Inspecting properties prior to the scheduled service visit to prepare a plan for the next service.
- Providing instructions to each crew leader at the beginning of the day to ensure the crew understands the expectation for the day and that they are set up to complete their assigned jobs.
- Visiting job sites on a regular basis to observe organization of work, resolve training issues, and take all action necessary to ensure the quality of work.
- Reporting to management any jobs that deviate from the schedule, budgets, time allowances, or any other factor affecting profitability so that adjustments can be made to maximize profitability.
- Staying aware of competition in the marketplace and report findings regarding pricing, marketing strategies, new materials, etc.
- Communicating with on-site personnel to inform them about pests that may be reducing the value of their landscape and proactively offering solutions. Writing up ticket work or proposals for additional services requested.
- Performing hands-on work with crews to meet schedule demands.
- Responding to customer complaints with the goal of providing excellent customer service.
- Maintaining inventory of tools and equipment and other company issued supplies.
- Training all employees on proper handling and use of all chemicals and equipment needed to complete applications.
- Hiring, firing, training, and developing assigned staff. Identifying and developing future crew leaders.
- Supervising employees, keeping attendance records, enforcing uniform and safety policies, and approving time cards.
- Conducting performance reviews no less than annually for each direct report.
- Participating in company snow removal operations as assigned.