With all the commercial landscaping companies out there, how do you choose the right one in the Washington, DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia area? Don’t despair, we’ll help you weed through the good, the bad and the ugly so you can find the perfect landscape contractor for your property.
Here are 5 tips for choosing a commercial landscaping company that is right for your property.
1. Be Sure the Contractor Offers the Services You Require
A common misconception is that all commercial landscapers offer basically the same services but this is not the case. It’s important to get a list of services the company provides so you can compare it to your checklist.
Common Services Offered by Commercial Landscaping Companies
- Landscape Maintenance – Mowing, edging, weeding, trimming and pruning, turf and ornamental programs, seasonal color
- Landscape Design – Site evaluations and plans to create or enhance marketing areas and focal points. Community master planning, amenity design such as patios, outdoor kitchens, dog parks, grilling stations and fire pits
- Landscape Construction – Planting, hydroseeding, turf installation, water feature installation, retaining walls, hardscapes, drainage, erosion control and outdoor amenity installation
- Irrigation and Lighting – Installation, maintenance, repair and upgrades, recommendations for efficient water use
- Snow and Ice Management – Plowing, ice melt application and sidewalk clearing.
- Landscape Enhancement – Redesign of focal points or addition of non-contracted items such as seasonal color displays, planters or baskets, tree removal and trimming
2. Do They Employ Sustainable Practices?
Are you looking for a company that will provide you with services to help you turn your landscape into a sustainable one? If yes, you are definitely moving in the right direction for your property. Creating landscapes that are cost-effective, energy efficient, water saving and environmentally conscious are all great ways to make an impact on your budget and the environment.
The landscaping company you choose should have sustainability at the forefront of everything they do, from the materials and plants they use to their water management plans for your site.
Questions to Ask Potential Contractors
- Where do they purchase plant materials and other supplies? Do they use native plants?
- What changes could be made to help you save money and resources?
- Can they recommend organic programs that could actually work for your property?
- Do they recycle yard waste like leaves, clippings and fallen branches?
- What programs do they offer to make irrigation and lighting more energy or water efficient?
3. Research Company Qualifications
You can save yourself some headaches by doing a bit of research at the beginning of the vetting process. Check out the company website, request references and ask colleagues. If you still have questions, reach out directly to the company.
Questions to Ask Commercial Landscaping Companies
- Does the company hold certifications and proper licensing for the work they intend to perform? Can they provide documentation?
- What industry qualifications does the company hold?
- Are they insured and for how much? Can they provide insurance documentation?
- Does the company have the equipment and manpower to handle your job?
- What affiliations does the company have?
- Are all services performed in-house or will you be dealing with a subcontractor for certain contract items?
4. Make Sure You Have a Designated Account Manager
One of the keys to a beautiful landscape is a great relationship and open dialogue with the person overseeing your account. This person may be different than your salesperson so be sure to find out who to direct your questions to after the sale and how to best reach him or her.
5. Ask for References
When hiring a commercial landscaping company you want to know how your property is going to look under their care. In addition to photo references of past site work, it’s a good idea to visit sites that are currently being serviced by the company you are considering. Ask the references about timeliness, quality of work, and plant material, level of communication and their overall happiness with the company.
There are many commercial landscaping companies in the Washington, DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia area. These tips should help you choose the best landscape company for your property, one that not only fits your budget, but also fits your vision for your property both now and in the future.
If you are interested in getting a bid from Complete Landscaping Service, email us at email@example.com or click here to go to our Contact Us form.